To carry out any domestic building work on your land as an Owner Builder, which exceeds $16,000 (including labour costs and materials), you must apply for a Certificate of Consent (see below what is considered) from the Victorian Building Authority (VBA).
- To issue a Certificate of Consent, the VBA will consider, among other things, whether the Applicant:
- - has the experience or has obtained by completeing a course the prescribed knowledge of the duties and responsibilities to build. (To do so see the 2 course options BELOW);
- - intends to live in the property upon completion of the building works;
- - owns or co-owns the land for which a Building Permit has been granted in respect of an owner builder project in the past 5 years.
- The Certificate of Consent will enable you to apply for a Building Permit and carry out domestic building work as an Owner Builder, on land that is in your name. BEFORE you apply, you MUST successfully complete the VBA's Owner Builder eKLearning Assessment, CLICK HERE. If you have little to no building knowledge nor experience, you are well advised to FIRST complete one of the courses below which we offer. You can then include the 'Certificate of Acknowledgment' on completig the course to your Application.
You must complete the Application Form CLICK HERE provided by the VBA to apply for a Certificate of Consent and pay a non refundable $96.18 fee regardless of the outcome. Owner Builders may only obtain a Building Permit for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property in any five (5) year period.
Unlike in other States in Australia, it is not compulsory in Victoria to do an owner builder course, BUT you will need to satisfy the VBA that you have the prescribed knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of an Owner Builder.
We offer two outstanding Owner Builder courses to rapidly give you knowledge and confidence. A Certificate of Acknowledgement is issued on completing these courses, which when attached to your VBA Owner Builder Application Form, will help and demonstrate that you have knowledge. PLUS a copy of the Certificate of Acknowledgement may prove to be very advantageous if you are applying for finance. IMPORTANTLY, the important and invaluable knowledge you will gain andpractical benefits will help you minimise costly mistakes and save money. The more you know about 'building', the better your project will run and be completed by you.
If you experience difficulty enrolling, do call 0433 233 388 or 0403 066 603
WE OFFER 2 OWNER BUILDER COURSE OPTIONS TO RAPIDLY GIVE YOU IMPORTANT KNOWLEDGE:
The Owner Builder courses we offer enable you to learn and understand your owner builder duties, responsibilities, how to owner build and 'project manage'. On successfully completing either courses, you will receive a 'Certificate of Acknowledgment' which you can attach to your 'Owner Builder Application Form', which will assits in the assessment of your elibility to be issued a Certificate of Consent by the VBA.
ONLINE VERSION: ($185) :
Course VicOB01 - study on your computer, LOGIN and you can complete the 'Assessment Questions' online. Study when it suits you and complete the course at your own pace.
>> BOOK NOW. If you are having trouble booking online, please call 0433 233 388 or 0403 066 603. If unattended, please leave a message.
WORKSHOP VERSION : -4 nights, 6pm to 9pm (only $330 a single; $440 a couple))
Owner Building in Victoria Workshop: This more extensive 'face to face' and interactive (you can ask questions) format is conducted by experienced industry professionals in Brunswick East in Melbourne. In the Workshop, you will learn the 'ins' and 'out' of how to owner build, how to organise and 'project manage' your residential building project, how to avoid making common mistakes. The course runs for 4 evenings, 3 hours per evening, usually within a fortnight, and includes a Course Manual plus refreshments. The classroom format makes it the most effective way to learn and undertand how to successfully owner build.
To see the DATES for the next Owner Building in Victoria Workshop, CLICK HERE.
If you experience difficulty enrolling online, do call 0433 233 388 or 0403 066 603
SINGLE ENROLEMENT: Only $330 : >> BOOK NOW.
COUPLE (2 people) ENROLEMENT: Only $440. >> BOOK NOW.
If you are having trouble booking online, please do call 0433 233 388 or 0403 066 603 If unattended, please leave your name and number.
The Victoria Owner Building Workshop, comprises of the following 5 Modules, covered in 4 nights of learning:
- Knowledge Module 1.1: Design Check - 5 Star Energy Rating explanation (3 hours)
- Knowledge Module 1.2: Estimating, Cost control plus Occupational Health & Safety (3 hours)
- Knowledge Module 1.3: Off site co-ordination + Administration, On site supervision, Planning & Permits (3 hours)
- Knowledge Module 1.4: Specification workshop A - Contracts + Insurances (1 hour) / Module 1.5 (2 hours)
- Knowledge Module 1.5 Specification workshop B - Materials & Systems, Identification, Product & Material info. (3 hours)
Note: Modules 1.4 and 1.5 are taught in one evening.
The Workshop Fees, including GST. is $330 per person, or $440 for a couple.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Under Work Health and Safety (WHS) legislation, anyone carrying out work, or employing other people on a construction site (including owner builder projects), MUST hold a current White Card from a Victorian RTO.
NOTE: Your Insurance Underwriter may require you to hold a (WHS) White Card for Construction Induction White Card to be on site.
SOME KEY POINTS ABOUT OWNER BUILDING IN VICTORIA :
Important aspects to consider about becoming an Owner Builder in Victoria:
- 01 An Owner Builder is someone who takes responsibility for domestic building work carried out on their own land;
- 02 An Owner Builder is responsible for obtaining building permits, supervising or undertaking the building works and ensuring that the works carried out meet building regulations and standards;
- 03 An Owner Builder can only build or renovate every five (5) years;
- 04 If the value of the proposed building works exceeds $16,000, you must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the VBA to be an owner builder;
- 05 An owner builder who erects any structure (including building a new home, carrying out renovations, alterations or additions, or building a swimming pool, spa or garage) may have additional obligations under Victorian Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) laws if their domestic premises, where the construction is to take place, becomes a 'workplace'.
- 06 If your premises are treated as a 'workplace', you will need to undertake Construction Induction Training commonly known as White Card Training. This training is offered by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) in Victoria who will offer the WorkSafe Victoria White Card;
- 07 You will need to hold or obtain a Victorian approved White Card (OHS);
- 08 You must pay the non-refundable $98.16 fee and attach to your application for a Certificate of Consent the following:
- eLearning Certificate
- Evidence of your experience or knowledge (such as a Certificate of Acknowledgement on completing one of our courses);
- A copy of your White Card from a Victorian Registered Training Organisation (RTO);
- 09 Some of the obligations of an owner builder last for six and a half years after practical completion;
- 10 You are NOT an Owner Builder if you intend to engage ONE licensed builder to do ALL the building works;
- 11 Once you have a Certificate of Consent, you are in a position to obtain a Building Permit by applying through your choice of a municipal or private building certifier, to carry out domestic work as an owner builder on your land;
- 12 Some builders or tradespeople may ask you to sign an Application Form for a Building Permit as an Owner Builder even though they will be doing all the work. If you do this may put you at risk, as the person may be unregistered or trying to avoid their legal obligations;
- 13 even if you have signed as an Owner Builder on the Application Form for a Building Permit:
- you will need to enter into a major domestic building contract when a registered builder, contractor or tradesperson will do domestic building works costing more than $5,000 (unless a single trade exemption applies);
- a builder, contractor or tradesperson MUST give you domestic building insurance for work costing more than $16,000;
- warranties still apply.
- 14 To issue a Certificate of Consent, the VBA will consider among other things, whether the Applicant:
- has the prescribed knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of an Owner Builder. (obtaining a Certificate of Acknowledgement on completing one of our courses will satisfy this need);
- intends to live in the property upon completion of the building works;
- owns or co-owns the land for which a Building Permit has been granted in respect of an owner builder project in the past 5 years.
- If you experience difficulty enrolling online, do call 0433 233 388 or 0403 066 603